- More than 3 billion people, about to half the world’s population, live on less than 2 dollars a day.
- In the past 12 months, the price of food has risen by close to 37 percent.
- Nearly every major agricultural commodity has been skyrocketing in price.
- According to the World Bank, 44 million more people have been pushed into extreme poverty since last June simply because of rising food prices.
- According to the UN Food and Agriculture Organization, the global price of food has risen up by 240% since 2004.
- This global food crisis has been brought on by the greed of the wealthy. A study by the World Institute for Development Economics Research discovered that the bottom half of the world population owns approximately 1 percent of all global wealth.
- The average income per person in the poorest countries in Africa has fallen by one-fourth over the past twenty years.
- It’s estimated that over 80 percent of the world’s population lives where the income gap between the rich and poor is widening.
- About 1 billion people go to bed hungry every night.
- Every 3.6 seconds someone starves to death and three-quarters of them are children under the age of 5.
- It’s estimated that the entire continent of Africa only owns approximately 1 percent of the total wealth of the world.
- According to the most recent “Global Wealth Report” by Credit Suisse, the wealthiest 0.5% of the global population controls over 35% of all the wealth on the planet.
Those of us that live in wealthy countries have it really good. We get to shovel huge amounts of food into our faces whenever we want and suffer from poor health and morbid obesity. But eventually things are going to change for us as well.
Global food supplies are getting really tight. If something does not change we are going to have some real problems.
So tonight before you eat your meal, make sure that you bow your head and thank the Lord for what you have.